I know you said that Mystery Shopping companies don’t deal with certified checks, but I had an assignment recently where I had to cash a check at a payday loan place. So, I’m confused. What are good and bad shops that deal with money?
To clarify: Mystery Shopping companies do not PAY by certified check. That’s actually a really big scam!
Financial institutions have a variety of shops available. Here are the main ones you’ll see out there:
1) Pay-day check cashing: The mystery shopping company will give you a check to cash. It is usually pretty small, (under $40) and may be your fee for the assignment.
2) Opening a new bank account: You’ll have to go in and meet with a representative to get options about opening a new checking, savings, or money market account. Sometimes you may actually have to open the account, other times you just need to get the information.
3) Closing a bank account: Generally, you’ll get these shops after you’ve already done an “opening” account shop. 🙂
4) Teller shops: You’ll have to wait in line to deposit money, or break a large bill.
5) Investment shops: You meet with a representative to see what kind of mutual funds or other investments they recommend.
That’s pretty much all that’s out there. When it comes to financial shops, just remember that they’re usually a very reasonable fee ($5-$40) not $200 or $500; and you will never be required to cash a certified check and wire money elsewhere. That type of “assignment” is a complete and total scam.
Disclaimer: Links to products and services throughout the website, videos, and blog may or may not contain affiliate links. This means, we may or may not earn a small commission from sales originating through this website. We would not recommend any product that we wouldn’t use ourselves, regardless of whether we earn commission or not.
Additionally, while we adhere to strict standards of editorial integrity to help you make decisions with confidence, the content provided is a means to educate and inform and should not be a substitution for professional advice for your specific situation.